On 2018-09-19 05:35 PM, Jérôme Blion wrote:
Le 19/09/2018 à 21:40, Gary Dale a écrit :
I'm running bacula 7.4.4 on a Debian/Stretch AMD64 server.

When I try to create a new disk volume for my steadily increasing amount of data needing to be backed up, it usually fails after I create the first new volume. There is lots of free space on the disk, so it's not that. Eventually I might be able to create another new volume (possibly because of an intervening reboot) but in the meanwhile I only have the one new volume (25G) which is about 1/10 the size of a full backup...

Here's an example of what I see in bconsole when executing the label command:

Sending label command for Volume "weekly-backup-pool-30" Slot 0 ...
3934 Device ""FileStorage" (/home/shares/backup)" is being initialized.
Label command failed for Volume weekly-backup-pool-30.
Do not forget to mount the drive!!!

Any ideas on what is happening and how to fix it?

Thanks.

Hello,

why don't you let bacula create volumes when needed ?

Because I didn't start with them that way and bacula doesn't like you to change volume labels once assigned. It wants to create new volumes with a 4-digit serial number ending. I've been using 2-digits. The manual recommends using python scripts for this which I don't want to get into to save myself what should be a few minutes every few months.

Moreover, it isn't guaranteed to resolve the problem I'm having. If bacula can't label a volume manually through bconsole, why should I expect it to do so automatically?

I'd still also need to monitor the number of volumes / amount of disk space bacula is taking so it might not actually save me any time. It just gives me a different thing to worry about.