On 2/10/20 11:31 AM, Josh Fisher wrote:

> What about a SD writing to multiple local 'Device' objects? And segueing
> into a related subject, why is a job locked into a particular Device at
> job startup? Rather than a one-time allocation of device and then one or
> more subsequent allocations of volume(s) as separate operations, why not
> allocate device and volume together as a pair in a single atomic
> operation? This would allow a job to potentially change devices when a
> different volume was needed and would be beneficial for autochangers
> that have more than one drive, including virtual disk autochangers.

Why is media type tied to a device? I never understood this: I get that
you may not want to stick an lto-1 tape into an lto-4 drive, but those
are device *types* -- nothing's stopping me from having two lto-1 drives
in my jukebox and have two devices capable of using lto-1 media.

(Or is it no longer the case)
--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin