Hello,

pon., 10 lut 2020 o 23:01 Dimitri Maziuk via Bacula-users <
bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net> napisał(a):

> On 2/10/20 4:12 AM, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:
>
> > So, why not to design a special kind of SD which will get data from FD
> and
> > then save it on different backend SD synchronously defining full and
> > flexible RAIT or EC solution?
>
> How should I know why you need a "specail" SD instead of a "regular" one?

Because a community _always_ know better then developers. :) Just read some
hot threads on this group.

> > This is a kind of help I want to get from community as you always
> complain
> > about decisions which developers take himself.
>
> I personally only care about failure of my HDD "magazine" being written
> to. SD writing to two file descriptors instead of one is all *I* want.

This is a small tip of the ideberg! and the devil is in the details -
always! I.e. how you want a single SD disconnection and reconnection to be
handled? Do you want to fail the whole job? or continue on remaining one?
what about a disconnected SD and its partially written volume on
reconnection? do you want SD reconnection in this case? do you want a
single or multiple jobs (in case if simple job mirroring) stored in catalog
db? do you want to fall back to other volume/job during restore errors?
etc. etc. etc. all of these requirements you do not want to discuss are the
important part of the functionality. I can implement a functionality which
community reject. This is not what I want.

> I don't even care for having the 2nd copy in the catalog: I just want
> the same exact volume file on two physical drives.

Then use low-level block replication (storage array or storage cluster -
sds or even os-level like drbd). It is fast and proven to be extremely
reliable as Enterprise class solutions. But we are discussing about
application-level replication or RAIT like solution. This is a very
different story.

> Somebody else may want the copy to go to "the cloud" instead, that may
> or may not require a different approach.

Sure, so I want to discuss that will be the better or the best approach in
this case.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski