Hello David,

Thanks for your confirmation of the problems.  I have a few suggestions for you:

1. Talk to Bacula Systems.  They give Universities very nice discounts, and they do have client initiated backup.  Bacula Systems has by default a subscription model, but certain customers prefer a one time purchase, which is possible.

2. If that is not an option, please let me know, and I will check with Bacula Systems for some pointers.  I have not personally used this feature but helped design it.  I believe it is already in Bacula community, but if it is not, then it surely will be available in the next version (probably around the end of the year).

Best regards,

Kern