On Fri, Jun 4, 2021, at 8:19 AM, Sven Hartge wrote:
> On 04.06.21 08:46, Eric Bollengier via Bacula-users wrote:
>
> > It seems that the release process is very attractive these days,
> > the tags are usually pushed at the end of the procedure (after
> > few days or when preparing the next release. It's better to
> > be sure that everything is ok because we cannot overwrite tags
> > once they are cloned on other git repositories.
> >
> > Of course, I can push them now, it seems that the release
> > is correct this time.
>
> I am sorry to say, but that is really strange. Of all the projects I
> follow, Bacula is the only with that interpretation of tag usage.
>
> Everyone else tags a release as soon as it is released and then the
> release it not changed afterwards.
>
> If something is wrong, a new release is made and tagged as well.
>
> Same goes for the provided archives. Please don't remove existing ones
> and replace them with other archives with the same version.

A project should never do this.

As a packager, you have now made my job much bigger than it needs to be.
This is a non-trivial situation. If there is a problem with the release,
create another release. Your downstream will have much more respect for you
than if you do otherwise.

Please, never do this.

Archives are archives, never to be modified. By definition.

> This makes life really difficult for distributions when you add a new
> version and then suddenly it is revoked and replaces by a new release
> with the same version number.
>
> If you for example release 11.0.5 and we upload this to Debian and two
> days later you remove the release and replace it, we would then need to
> "invent" a version number like 11.0.5.1 to be able to upload the new
> version.
>
> Yes, it looks bad when you have to release several minor version over a
> few days, but please think of the people downstream of you.

It should not be about the project. It should be about your consumers.

--
  Dan Langille
  d...@langille.org