On 12/22/21 12:47, Phil Stracchino wrote:
On 12/22/21 09:03, Neil Balchin wrote:
I’ve been down that road,  yes bacula can certainly be configured to handle that at least on a ’nix system.  Before your get too far though, you should do your own research on the reliability of spinning disk drives (internal or external).  They pale in comparison to Tape.  I would include s.m.a.r.t. disk checks as a regular part of my schedule and don’t expect to do this in an archiving scenario,  hard drives sitting on a shelf unpowered for in excess of a year have frightening failure rates.

LTO tapes are meant to let for 30 yrs

Yeah, but the LTO drives are dead in eighteen months unless you have a filtered environment for them.  (That is my personal experience at least.)  I abandoned tape backup because I got tired of replacing the drives.

My experience as well with tape drives. IMHO, archives must be rotated onto newer media periodically anyway. I cannot imagine that it will be possible to find a drive that will read a 30 year old LTO tape. Systems will likely be able to attach USB drives for many years to come.

I use vchanger to treat USB drives like a magazine full of tapes. Management, rotation, etc. is basically the same as with tape. It is a good setup for the small businesses that I work with who will never have a filtered environment and replacement tape drives, to them, are expensive.

Another factor to consider is that the cost of external SSD drives is falling. Currently they are about 4x the cost of hard drives, but I feel that they will soon become a viable option for small business. They are quite physically durable and are expected to retain data without power for around 10 years. However, simply plugging them in once a year recharges the cells and should extend that many times over.  In fact, I am considering suggesting these to use for archival/off-site storage in conjunction with hard drives.