Hello Phil,

>>> (a) trying to figure out how to get a Bacula sd and fd installed on it
>>
>> The happiest days of my life were after I got dedicated equipment for home
>> network modem, routing, and wireless mesh accessing points.
>> That said, I never understood this very common user fetish of installing
>> Bacula
>> components in the NAS. OK: you avoid one more network node but the hardware
>> is
>> not designed to handle the extra workload.
>

> Because when the backup scheme is disk to disk to removable disk, the
> transfer rate going directly across the backplane is much higher than I
> can get across a gigabit network.
>
> Also, I don't want to burn the power to run another node that
> functionally does nothing but run a storage daemon.
>
> Extra workload on the NAS isn't an issue.  It has 32GB RAM and eight
> Xeon D-1622 cores.

But then, even you you manage to build the SD you will probably be stuck with
the same Bacula version forever.
I guess you haven't disclosed this specific NAS model, but you might consider
using a VM in the QuTS Hero "Virtual Machine Sation" solution. Ref.:
<https://www.qnap.com/en/product/ts-h886>
Then the OS is not a problem anymore.

> --
>   Phil Stracchino