> I think a more serious problem is that too many of these so-called people
> of capacity have egos the size of a house, and are not interested in being
> around people that do not defer to them.  I have heard that this is the
> reason that Shoghi Effendi did not move toward establishing the House of
> Justice during the 20's.

Dear Don,

I think it was also because he wasn't terribly impressed with the quality
and deepening of many of the Baha'is, especially the ones in the West.
Consider Major Tudor Pole, for instance, through whom all the communications
between England and the Holy Land were routed. He was one of the Baha'is
with whom the Guardian consulted in those early days when he decided whether
or not to form the House of Justice right away. Pole believed in
spiritualism, reincarnation, etc. and eventually left the Faith.

warmest, Susan