Gilberto Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Dear Scott, I think you may have misunderstood what I meant to say. I
didn't mean that there were different groups disagreed about the
status of the Bab. I'm saying that among those who believe in the
status of the Bab, there are differences and disagreements about other
matters.

I said it that way because on previous occasions when I've seen the
issue discussed, "Bahai" is usually defined in very narrow way which
defines sectarian problems out of existence.

Every time there was a transition in leadership (Bab, Bahaullah,
Abdul-Baha, Shoghi Effendi, UHJ) there was a split between those who
took one fork and those who went some other way.

That's all I'm saying.

Peace

Gilberto

Gilberto,

I certainly took no offense and am heartily sorry if you thought I had.

Yes, at each juncture there has been a falling away from the message. This is not unique to the Baha`i Faith either.

When Shi'ih and Sunni began their tragic split, this was just such a "falling away". I am not going to venture an opinion as to which was the true path of Islam, but I must note that the "falling away" left two very strong and numerous groups, each claiming the distinction of being the "true" Islam. Even though factioning continued, these factions continued to thrive.

This fracturing of the course of Islam is very similar to the fracturing of Christianity, it has serious reflections in the fracturing of Buddhism, and Hinduism. These factions remained vigorous and unity was totally lost.

On the other hand, in the Baha`i Faith from the time of the Bab until the time of the institution of the Universal House of Justice one cannot say that the attempted schismatics have flourished. In fact one must draw the assumption that tiny splinters became microscopic splinters and as time passes these splinters vanish. The faith is left intact to a degree never attained by any other faith tradition in the past.

Will there come a day when the Baha`i Faith DOES splinter? I would have to say the answer is probably "yes". This would be the established senescence of a revelation as it eventually becomes lost in empty ritual and groundless dogma. This appears to be the natural progression of a faith, from energetic youth, through cohesive maturity, to decrepitude and senescence.

That is why faith is renewed from time to time, and it is always renewed in the place where the conditions are most abject.

I think Baha`u'llah promised us at least a thousand years of "cohesive maturity".

This distinction is, I believe, a maor advancement in the spiritual progress of the human race.

"Furthermore, just as the solar cycle has its four seasons the cycle of the Sun of Reality has its distinct and successive periods. Each brings its vernal season or springtime. When the Sun of Reality returns to quicken the world of mankind a divine bounty descends from the heaven of generosity. The realm of thoughts and ideals is set in motion and blessed with new life. Minds are developed, hopes brighten, aspirations become spiritual, the virtues of the human world appear with freshened power of growth and the image and likeness of God become visible in man. It is the springtime of the inner world. After the spring, summer comes with its fullness and fruitage spiritual; autumn follows with its withering winds which chill the soul; the Sun seems to be going away until at last the mantle of winter overspreads and only faint traces of the effulgence of that divine Sun remain. Just as the surface of the material world becomes dark and dreary, the soil dormant, the trees nak! ed and bare and no beauty or freshness remain to cheer the darkness and desolation, so the winter of the spiritual cycle witnesses  256  the death and disappearance of divine growth and extinction of the light and love of God. But again the cycle begins and a new springtime appears. In it the former springtime has returned, the world is resuscitated, illumined and attains spirituality; religion is renewed and reorganized, hearts are turned to God, the summons of God is heard and life is again bestowed upon man."

 (Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 255)

 



 
 
The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.
 
 
 
As human beings, we are endowed with freedom of choice, and we cannot shuffle off our responsibility upon the shoulders of God or nature. We must shoulder it ourselves. It is our responsibility.
Arnold J. Toynbee
__________________________________________________ You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:[email protected] Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:[email protected] Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected] New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]

Reply via email to