Gilberto Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 9/2/05, Scott Saylors <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
> I consider Juan Cole to be a Baha`i, even though he has splintered himself
> off of the body of the faith.
Wow. I'm actually impressed. In the past I've found Bahais who would
not say he was one of their number.
He professes the Prophethood of Baha`u'llah
> and the Writings as the Truth.
Yes.
> Personally, I believe that putting my own ego
> ahead of unity is wrong, but that is for me to say only about myself.
Actually I read that he "voluntarily" removed himself from the Bahais
in order to not be divisive.
Peace
GilbertoGilberto,
I think that could be said, but I cannot be certain he did not withdraw rather than face administrative sanctions. I think he later regretted withdrawing, but that is surmise on my part, I certainly cannot judge his actions. Actually, I think that the list policy is to NOT discuss Professor Cole's frictions with the faith, as he is not participant on this list. I don't really want to put words in his mouth.
To most Baha`i's I think his actions raise a cautionary flag, and they react with a certain degree of revulsion. It is an important factor of the faith in most Baha`i's that they not countenance lack of obedience to the institutions. I certainly think it is important. I might regret some policies, but I am not going to say they are improper when the institution is, in fact, the sole arbiter of what propriety is.
One thing most forget is this: Many times an institution must rule on what they have found as fact, but because of the nature of PRIVACY and DISCRETION on the substance of their consultation they simply are not free to fully explain themselves. An assembly at whatever level of function has responsibilities to maintain a "privileged information" status - to break confidentiality on ANY single thing can jeopardize the institution's right to keep ANYTHING confidential from a legaland societal standpoint.
As it is legally in the west, an assembly can claim privilege just as an attorney or doctor or clergyman can, but to maintain that claim everything must be confidential.
Regards,
Scott
The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.
__________________________________________________
You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-s! t in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st
Baha'i Studies is available through the following:
Mail - mailto:[email protected]
Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st
News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st
Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist
Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]
New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]
__________________________________________________ You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:[email protected] Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:[email protected] Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected] New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]As human beings, we are endowed with freedom of choice, and we cannot shuffle off our responsibility upon the shoulders of God or nature. We must shoulder it ourselves. It is our responsibility.
Arnold J. Toynbee
