"I don't treat the Bible as one book. This argument is specific to
certain commandments."
No the argument was in reference to your general position that unlike the
Qur'an there is " alot of stuff in the Bible which isn't inspired and isn't
true."
"And in any case, it is not clear why you are
arguing because you were doubting whether the descriptions in the
Bible are historical anyway."
Because your argument isn't based on the likely historicity of the massacre
in question it is based on the premise that the action was immoral by your
own [modern] standards and therefore couldn't have come from God. I'm saying
you can't judge past dispensations by such standards and if one did even
Islam would not come out looking all that good.
"I'm not using particularly modern standards of ethics."
You don't recognize that you are, I realize. But what you imagine to be
perennial are simply not so.
"Not just my own prophet and book, you guys say you love him with all
your heart and love the book too."
And I haven't denigrated Him by saying His actions can't be evaluated by
projecting our own standards back into history.
"It isn't a point you've convincingly demonstrated."
I realize you are not convinced. Frankly, I don't think all the evidence in
the world would convince you because you have made up your mind.
"There aren't just
"modern values""
That's where we differ, so just leave it there and drop the subject.
The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be
confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The
information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts
or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.
__________________________________________________
You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:[email protected]
Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st
Baha'i Studies is available through the following:
Mail - mailto:[email protected]
Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st
News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st
Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist
Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]
New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]