It won't invalidate a marriage. I know a transgender individual who was born with ambiguous gender, fairly. There are also cases of 'pseudo-hermaphroditism" which is a chromosomally male individual whose body does not change to male when testosterone is produced by the developing fetus in the womb.

One must realize that ALL human fetuses are female in the womb. Until the chemical magic of response to hormones is complete and any where along that tortuouse route abnormalities can occur.

The physical identification of gender is not really an either or situation.

Regards,
Scott

"Jeanine H." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Dear Marleen,

Hello! I am not entirely sure of your point, so I hope this reply is
constructive. I know from firsthand experience of a person who changed
his/her gender via surgery, etc., and was allowed to subsequently marry.
My understanding is that the person was under a doctor's care whose
diagnosis was that the person was a true transgender, not gay. In fact,
I don't believe the surgery and treatment (from the doctor's point of
view) would've gone ahead otherwise. I am not an expert in these things,
but I suspect that, since we must rely on the expertise of physicians,
the House has accepted that a person in such a condition really is of
the other gender in every mental and emotional way. Yes, it does raise
questions, but one must do one's best within the Teachings, and include
as much compassion as possible.

I can but imagine that an already-married Baha'i would have FAR more to
consider before undergoing such an operation, in light of the Faith's
view of the importance of marriage. Maybe this would have changed the
House's view, also--but I don't know of any examples of this to go by.
And, by this reasoning, if a person who is already transgender (in their
full identity) were to come into the Faith, I don't see a problem with
them, per se. Again, the marriage issue is different, but we know that
two same genders are not married in the Faith, regardless, so perhaps we
will learn of such a case. I believe that would, indeed, invalidate the
marriage in the eyes of the Faith, but I am only guessing. Marriage
issue aside, if someone were in some transitional process where s/he was
still identified under the original, physical gender, I would suggest
(my own view) to complete the process before signing a card, if
possible. That would avoid all the private discussions up the
Administrative ladder necessitating that what s/he was doing would be
understood. Plus, one would prefer not to change all one's Baha'i
records again. ;-)

With these current Teachings, my impression is that the Faith
understands that, while God is unchanging, the created world is full of
great diversity (i.e., shades of gray), requiring that some situations
be handled on a case-by-case basis. No matter which decision is made,
there are always future implications.

Yours,

Jeanine