The Baha'i Studies Listserv
Also, I consider these place as metaphysical as opposed to some who believe in
literal re-bodying.

________________________________
From: Adib Masumian <adibmasum...@gmail.com>
To: Baha'i Studies <bahai-st@list.jccc.edu>
Sent: Wed, November 3, 2010 4:18:04 PM
Subject: Re: Afterlife

The Baha'i Studies Listserv
>No one believes in a literal fluffy cloud heaven or literal underworld.

I don't know if I would go so far as to say nobody. I just have to change the
channel to the 700 club or take a stroll around the hotspots at my university,
which ironically is liberal, to find all kinds of people who really do believe
in a literalist depiction of heaven and hell. And those are of course just
representative of a much larger demographic who probably go to Bible camps or
other venues where they could potentially be indoctrinated with literalist
interpretations of scripture.

>I would say dimensions, planes of existence, etc. are ways to describe what
>people believe in
No argument there, since I don't think believing in a literal interpretation of
heaven or hell and considering them to be dimensions or planes of existence are
mutually exclusive beliefs. I don't think you'll find a Christian or Muslim who
doesn't believe that heaven and hell are planes of existence in one way or
another.

>What exactly defines the difference between literalism and symbolisism.

I think it lies in the original text and what is then done with that text. If
there's a statement in a religious scripture that depicts heaven as a fluffy
paradise with streams of milk and honey, taking that description at face value
and believing it, to the letter, to be the reality of that place, constitutes a
literalist interpretation. If, however, allegorical hermeneutics (the kind the
Baha'i Faith uses) is applied to that original text so that its definition is
meant to be viewed through a symbolic lens, that constitutes symbolism.

Best,
Adib

The Baha'i Studies Listserv