The Baha'i Studies Listserv

Who is happy in the next life and who is not?

This passage has always struck me as indicative of a very inclusive and
even-handed policy concerning the souls of individuals from various belief
systems and the judgments of their actions:

Baha’u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha’u'llah, p. 171 "It is clear
and evident that all men shall, after their physical death, estimate the worth
of their deeds, and  realize all that their hands have wrought.  I swear by
the Day Star that shineth above the horizon of Divine  power!  They that are
the followers of the one  true God shall, the moment they depart out of this
life, experience such joy and gladness as would be  impossible to describe,
while they that live in error  shall be seized with such fear and trembling,
and  shall be filled with such consternation, as nothing  can exceed.  Well is
it with him that hath quaffed the  choice and incorruptible wine of faith
through the  gracious favor and the manifold bounties of Him  Who is the Lord
of all Faiths…."

Clearly a variety of virtues, probably including theological correctness, weigh
in our favor when we judge ourselves or are judged in the Presence of the Being
of Light; and a variety of vices weigh against us. We all "live in error" to
some extent, and we all pray to God for "gracious favor and manifold bounties."

e.g. virtues which outweigh vices:

James 5:20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way
willsave his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

1 Peter 4:8 Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because
lovecovers a multitude of sins.

and vices which outweigh virtues:
Arabic Hidden Words 26 and 27:

O SON OF BEING! How couldst thou forget thine own faults and busythyself with
the faults of others? Whoso doeth this is  accursed of Me.O SON OF MAN! Breathe
not the sins of others so long as thouart thyself a sinner. Shouldst thou
transgress this command, accursed wouldstthou be, and to this I bear witness.
O SON OF MAN! Breathe not the sins of others so long as thouart thyself a
sinner. Shouldst thou transgress this command, accursed wouldstthou be, and to
this I bear witness.

So as far as the next life goes we are all stuck wit Paul's admonition:

O SON OF BEING! How couldst thou forget thine own faults and busythyself with
the faults of others? Whoso doeth this is  accursed of Me.O SON OF MAN! Breathe
not the sins of others so long as thouart thyself a sinner. Shouldst thou
transgress this command, accursed wouldstthou be, and to this I bear witness.

So as far as the next life goes we are all stuck wit Paul's admonition:

Philippians2:12 So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not asin
my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvationwith
fear and trembling;