> 2.  Shoghi Effendi wrote:
>
> "Masturbation is clearly not a proper use of the sex instinct, as this is
> understood in the Faith.  Moreover it involves, as you have pointed out,
> mental fantasies, while Baha'u'llah, in the Kitab-i-Aqdas, has exhorted us
> not to indulge our passions and in one of His well-known Tablets
Abdu'l-Baha
> encourages us to keep our `secret thoughts pure'.  Of course many wayward
> thoughts come involuntarily to the mind and these are merely a result of
> weakness and are not blameworthy unless they become fixed or even worse,
are
> expressed in improper acts.  In `The Advent of Divine Justice', when
> describing the moral standards that Baha'is must uphold both individually
> and in their community life, the Guardian wrote:
>           `Such a chaste and holy life, with its implications of modesty,
>      purity, temperance, decency, and clean-mindedness..."
> (Multiple Authors:  Lights of Guidance, Page: 365)

Dear David,

I just realized you made a minor mistake with the above. It is the House of
Justice which is being quoted here, not Shoghi Effendi. To my knowledge the
Guardian never said anything about masturbation. In fact the only thing I
can think of from the Writings is what the Bab said.

warmest, Susan