On 8/25/03 9:16 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> any kind help on Webster or OED for ADJURE?

Dear Khazeh -
I love words, and Shoghi Effendi is a master in their use.

The general meaning of adjure is "a solemn entreaty", but here again
we can better understand one word by comparing it to a similar word.
Originally adjure meant "to swear to", and conjure meant "to swear
with".

This meaning of conjure is rapidly becoming obsolete but remains at
the root of our its use to mean 'to summon a spirit or demon'.  There
is an element of at least temporary equality or truce by virtue of a
solemn oath involved with conjure.

Adjure, on the other hand, maintains the inequality.  The adjurer
"charges, binds or commands" the adjuree under penalty of solemn oath.
 It was understood that this oath was before God, and that the penalty
would be exacted by God.

So that part of Shoghi Effendi sentence might have been stated -

"I *charge* them [before God], by the precious blood that flowed in
such great profusion, by the lives of the unnumbered saints and heroes
who were immolated, by the supreme, the glorious sacrifice of the
Prophet-Herald of our Faith, by the tribulations which its Founder,
Himself, willingly underwent, so that His Cause might live, His Order
might redeem a shattered world and its glory might suffus the entire
planet - I *call on* them [before God], as this solemn hour draws
nigh, to resolve never to flinch, never to hesitate, never to relax,
until each and every objective in the Plans to be proclaimed, at a
later date, has been fully consummated."

A very powerful statement considering the station of the Guardian.

Don C

- - - - -
He who believes himself spiritual proves he is not.