Hi, Richard,

At 08:40 PM 12/12/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>>I cannot find anything in Ocean that gives "All religions are one" as a statement of
>>the Faith.  I did find "fundamental oneness of religion" in this statement by Shoghi
>>Effendi.<<

IMO, that is the basically the same as saying that religions have a "common
foundation."

"fundamental adj 1: serving as an essential component; 'a cardinal rule'; 'the central
cause of the problem'; 'an example that was fundamental to the argument'; 'computers
are fundamental to modern industrial structure'"
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fundamental

As I see it, the "central cause" or "cardinal rule" of the oneness of divine religions
is their origin in the Will and Mind of God.

>>"Religions are many, but the reality of religion is one."
>>(Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 126)

>>What if a scholar who is not a Baha'i should throw that one at you?<<

In my view, that is the basis for unity in diversity. In other words, the oneness of
the revealed religions is found in their shared Source, God and His Will, not
*necessarily* in their common teachings.

If there is a universal template for "religion," in God's Mind and Will, it is found
in the reflected appearance of His Own Essence, through His Prophets, as the names and
attributes of creation. To my understanding, the expression of these names and
attributes in the human soul, sometimes called virtues, constitute the "essential" or
spiritual laws and principles taught by all the Prophets.

Mark A. Foster * http://MarkFoster.net
http://CompuServe.m.foster.name