|
To the Chevalier Jean Baptiste Doutron
(JBD)
Thank you for the contents, if not the style or
tone, of your recent correspondence, concerning the report I recently sent to
Paris. You are right on a number of points, and I must both ask for your help
and make an unreserved apology.
The following will properly clarify the situation,
but it is a trifle complicated, so I will write slowly for you.
Firstly, I should indeed have checked the veracity
of my sources. As one who is, indeed, merely a novice in the art of war, my
primary concern was to alert Paris of any failures that might be avoided in the
future. I can now categorically confirm that it was NOT the 27th Musketeers who
fired the deadly volley into the Spanish foes. Rather, it was the brave men of
the Grand Duke Max Dragoons, who had dismounted, and, using enemy muskets gained
from a previously successful strike against the Spaniards, succeeded in crushing
the foes with their own weapons!
Secondly, I can confirm that the name of the
anonymous Major mentioned in the report was definitely NOT that of the
honourable Chevalier Quincy de Cooper. Interestingly, he has not responded to
the report, suggesting he has nothing to hide or fear. The tone of your reply,
however, suggests an entirely different reaction. One wonders why?
Thirdly, (please excuse me as this has nothing
to do with the report), may I draw your attention
to the Brigadier General, Duc Jean Senior, Jr.'s recent request for an
aide. Such an aide must, of course, hold the rank of subaltern, but this you
will doubtless know as a self-proclaimed expert in all matters military. Now
that I have been promoted from subaltern in the GDMD, that position is clear,
and (perhaps surprisingly), I would happily have a word with the regiment's
commanding officer to support your application for this vacant post. I could
even pen the letter for you, since you seem unable to write in a civil
manner, and, whatever practices you might have been used to, such matters
are important in the GDMD.
Fourthly, comes the unreserved apology. I am
extremely sorry that some un-named Major in the ALC (NOT Chevalier Quincy de
Cooper) let a number of Spanish prisoners escape.
Finally: the request for your help. As one who is
more familiar with the fields of honour surrounding Paris, perhaps you could aid
me in sugggesting some suitable venue for our further "discussion" of this
matter when we return to Paris.
Captain Henri Serf-Edly (HSE) of the illustrious
Grand Duke Max Dragoons.
[OOC: Actually, in the original posting, I
identified neither the officers nor the regiments, but as I've just joined the
GDMD, and the ALC are their regimental enemies, I thought I'd get into the
"spirit of the game" and all that, by taking what I admit was a pretty cheap
swipe at them. Nothing personal mind you. And I will try to read the reports
about the stationing of the regiments at the front more carefully in future, as
it's still all a bit baffling to me at the moment. P.S. You're almost certain to
win the duel, but please don't kill me! Peter]
|
- Banana - Private Mail to HSE chris holmes
- Peter T Davies
