Mon Cher Soire,

Thank you for putting my mind at rest regards the letter from le Comte
d'Armagnac.  I suspect you are right in assuming him to have an unfortunate
style which can sometimes be misunderstood. I hope you will forgive me for
troubling you with this minor matter when you have so many much more
important duties to attend to - though in the wake of Brouilles' rather
spectacular betrayal I trust that you will understand what prompted me do
so?

You will no doubt have heard that Brouilles has been one of the first to
offer his services to the prosecution and has actually called me out (so
long as some rather unlikely conditions are met)?

Word is that he is encouraging le Vicomte de Sevigny to broaden the scope of
the investigation to include a supposed attempt to destroy the morale of the
Dragoon Guards. I find this hard to believe, since le Vicomte was one of
those whom the selfish actions of his late crony Du Pain most disadvantaged.
Indeed, it was for this reason that Vicomte de Sevigny left the regiment!

Looking back, I suppose that this was the point at which relations between
Brouilles and myself first began to cool. If he had been more supportive of
the regulations I had instituted so as to ensure the smooth running of the
regiment - and less so of the young friend who had so blatantly contavened
them - I'm sure that the matter could have been quickly cleared without
recourse to the unpleasant measures which, ultimately, proved necessary.

Still, I can't really say that I'm sorry at the way events have turned out.
If the rumours of his attempted peculation from the treasury are true
(though I doubt very much that Duc Senior will look too closely into the
matter) it would be extremely embarrassing to be closely associated with him
at this juncture - especially for a man in the position in which I currently
find myself.

Anyway, I can leave the sordid goings-on of the Parisian ministries behind
me for a time at last. I write this whilst dining at inn a scant few miles
from the front - and was fortunate enough to intercept your messenger before
he continued on to Paris. With a bit of luck, my coach and servants will
have caught up with me by the time my horse is rested.

May Fortune smile upon you during the month ahead,

Alain


Reply via email to