Chretien riffles through a stack of letters that has been fattening on his desk while he has been plotting strategy, examining maps, ordering wine, and all the other things Brevet Brigadiers must see to.

"Henri - come in here to take a letter, if you please!"

"Yes, sir?"

"I need you to write three letters for me and post 'em quickly.  Write to Subalterns Rascale en Pense and  Pierre le Granouille, and tell them that they can, of course, apply for the Captain's position and that I'll let them know at the end of the month.  Write to Perdu Au Secours, who is new in town, and offer him a place in the GDMD and inquire if he needs any help purchasing his horse or commission.   Of course, imply strongly that I'll ante up with the dough if he's short."

(OOC:  apologies to all for the delay responding.  I've just hit the end of the academic term and been thrown into a small tornado of essays, student questions, and grades.)










Reply via email to