On Monday 04 May 2009 05:53:50 Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> The advantage of tying up with an institution -
> ideally an engineering college - is that if the college management is
> involved, most of the infrastructure stuff just happens, which is a huge
> load of your mind. In this respect, we could think of approaching Christ
> University in Bangalore - the management is highly supportive of such
> ventures and there are some dedicated staff members who could do a lot.

further to this, if you analyse the foss/oss conferences that take place every
year, there are two types:

fsck.in - this is run by experienced event managers who can dedicate
substantial time and also have bank accounts for fund receipts. Freed.in, run
by ilugd, which is a registered society with a bank account. But they usually
tie up with JNU to run their show.

Gnunify at Pune, tied up with Symbiosis which makes it the longest running
event in the country - in it's 5th or 6th year. Fossconf - this is run by
ilugc, and held in a different college each year. The college looks after the
infrastructure and provides 150-200 volunteers and looks after everything.
This year we had about 10 colleges bidding for the event - and next year's
event is already allotted.

One difference between Gnunify/freed and fossconf is that that the former
events are held in elite institutions, so there is practically zero attendance
from the students of the institutions. Fossconf is usually held in 2nd tier
institutions, so there is a large student attendance from the host college
itself.

I do not know what the scene is in Bangalore, but in Chennai alone, there
would be a big Queue of colleges vying to host Pycon India.

(I am just sharing my experiences here)

--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves