On 05.10.2017 at 06:59 wrote Michael Masterson:
> I've run into this problem:
>
> Compiling postgresql.c
> "postgresql_queries.inc", line 705: Error: Empty character constant.
> "postgresql_queries.inc", line 885: Error: Empty character constant.
> "postgresql_queries.inc", line 894: Error: Empty character constant.
> 3 Error(s) detected.
> gmake[1]: *** [postgresql.lo] Error 1
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mjm/src/bareos/bareos/src/cats'
> gmake: *** [src/cats] Error 2
>

> it's lines like this:
>
>       FileName != ''
>
> I'm using solaris studio 12.2, (I also tried developer studio12.5 first.)
>
> I'm using, basically, the settings that Marco listed in this thread:
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/bareos-devel/2Mq_HmTEOWw
>
> Help please?    I was able to get bacula compiled and was well on my way to
> getting it set up, when I discovered Bareos, and decided it was a better
> option.
>
> I compiled it originally with gcc, and it compiled ok, but then bareos-dir
> would segfault when starting, so I found the post that suggested that the
> solaris compiler was a better option... but it doesn't like that include file.

You are right. It is currently not possible, to compile Bareos >= 17.2
on Solaris using Solaris Studio (we are using version 12.4). Thank you
for pointing this out.

The problem is, that the compiler don't accept the SQL empty string, as
it thinks it is C code, while it is intended as SQL statement.

I've not found a way to let the compiler ignore this problem. So we need
to work on this. Maybe you got an idea?

Other useful information:
  * this code is only required when compiling the Bareos Director. You
want to run the Director on Solaris?
  * the latest stable release is 16.2.6 (will be 16.2.7 soon). Compiling
this should not be a problem (this code has been introduced with Bareos
>= 17.2)
  * On "Solaris" for x86, we compiled using gcc without issues. However,
on Solaris for Sparc, we stick to Solaris Studio.

There are still bareos.com customers using Bareos on Solaris. So this
issue will be fixed.

regards,
Jörg

--
 Jörg Steffens                   joerg.steff...@bareos.com
 Bareos GmbH & Co. KG            Phone: +49 221 630693-91

 Sitz der Gesellschaft: Köln | Amtsgericht Köln: HRA 29646
 Komplementär: Bareos Verwaltungs-GmbH
 Geschäftsführer:
 S. Dühr, M. Außendorf, Jörg Steffens, P. Storz