In case of filesystems I can think of as interesting for myself:

1) Windows FD has VSS support

2) In case of ZFS/LVM you can run a pre/post scripts creating a snapshot and mounting it for reading then unmounting and removing snapshot after backup.

I suppose you can pack it into a python plugin but on first glance it seems as a bit of an overkill.