Merry Christmas everyone!

Even with super bad news. There it is, in a sub-sentence:

On 12/22/22 04:26, Frank Kohler wrote:
Note we change release policy for community to rolling release [3].
[3] https://www.bareos.com/bareos-release-policy/

This is super bad. Let me explain why.

I am -as a private, non-commercial user- using B* for my backup purposes with 20+ years of B* knowledge under my belt. In the early 2000s with Bacula. A some point, Bacula did not really accept any more ideas; well they did, but they only put those into the commercial product, letting the open source community die. They would word it in some other way, but in the end, it was dead in the water.

A fact that really annoyed you guys from Bareos. So much in fact that you forked Bacula to Bareos. For a looong time I have been using Bareos as my last line of defense, did a speech in the Open Source Backup Conference and am/was a B* evangelist, preaching everyone to use it.

Now you do a rolling release for private people. Let's face it: B* is not for the normal user. My mom, uncle or any of my non-tech savy friends will ever use it. It's not the use case. So when I say I run Bareos on 50+ vms for my private usage, well, that's normal business here.

With you new "rolling release" how can I make sure server 13 has the same version as server 51? How can I blindly type "dnf update" and know stuff will not break? With a rolling release? I happy stayed 1-2 major versions behind to have a stable, rock-solid experience.

CentOS did the same. They mission was to provides a stable, non-changing copy/clone of RedHat with the expressed purpose to be binary compatible to the RedHat equivalent. They switched to rolling release and killed their usability and also (pretty much) died. They did not understand even up to today why this was bad.

But you said so yourself on https://www.bareos.com/bareos-release-policy/:

  "not for production"

A... backup solution that is not for production? Maybe I am old fashioned, but Backups should be reliable, provable working, re-storable and idempotent. Also, this is a virtual smack in the face for all us non-paying, private users. Our data is not worth saving. Or at least not as important as the paid version. Well, we're not producing anything. Or so.

Maybe it's only me. But my data is not a guinea pig.

I guess at some point when you fork for the right reasons and then build a company around it, you must shed of the deadweight that once helped you, supported you, carried you to new datacenters and preached.

CentOS did this. Zimbra, too. And now Bareos.

Who is forking next? If you do, please don't start a company on it.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Christian Reiss

Christian Reiss
CTO

DALASON GmbH
Im Mediapark 5
50670 Köln
Germany

Tel: +49 221 - 177 396 - 20
christian.re...@dalason.de

Internet: www.dalason.de www.dcalling.de www.wirecloud.de
Geschäftsführer: Andreas Damek, Chung-U Son
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Köln
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Köln HRB 60929
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bareos-users/f1017db9-12c4-493b-170f-26063e1b357e%40dalason.de.
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:4.0
EMAIL;PREF=1:christian.re...@dalason.de
FN:Christian Reiss
ORG:;Operations
TITLE:CTO
N:Reiss;Christian;;;
ADR:;;Im Mediapark 5;Cologne;;50670;Germany
TEL;TYPE=work;VALUE=TEXT:+49 221 177 396 20
TEL;TYPE=fax;VALUE=TEXT:+49 221 999 999 37
URL;VALUE=URL:https://dalason.de
UID:5a5a5422-d09e-497f-9315-f586d7754955
END:VCARD