Sometimes I also lowered the 4th course a little bit, what works pretty well and sounds very good in F maj, d min etc.

Unfortunately we don't have any historical evidence about tuning temperaments, as far as I know. But I'm pretty sure that the lutenists then tuned the lute in a tempered way.

Sometimes I'm wondering, if the Weiss anecdote by Reichardt on tuning the lute could be meant in such a way.

The content in short:
Weiss, who was then 50, was asked by someone, how long he played the lute. Weiss answered: "20 years". A friend of him, who knew that he played the lute already with 10 wanted to contradict. But Weiss said immediately: "That's true, but 20 years I tuned" (The German text is below).

I know, there are many possibilities to get the deeper meaning of this.
It could be owed to the Mattheson quote that a lutenist tunes half of his life. But it ! could ! also be a hint, that Weiss sought for the ideal temperament for a long time.

We should not forget that the lute was beloved especially for her excellent sound - and our instrument sounds better tempered with no doubt (my personal opinion).

Best regards
Markus

P.S.: The German
Der große Lautenist Weiße antwortete im fünfzigsten Jahre seines Alters auf die Frage, wie lange er die Laute spiele? „zwanzig Jahr.“ Einer seiner Freunde, der gewiß wußte, daß Weiße schon im zehnten Jahre seines Alters die Laute spielte, wollte ihm widersprechen, er fiel ihm aber ins Wort und sagte: „schon recht; allein zwanzig Jahr stimmte ich.“ So stimmt der Mann von Komplimente unaufhörlich an seinem Leben und kommt eben so selten zum Genüßen, wie der Lautenspieler zum spielen. Nein, daß menschliche Leben ist zu kurz um Komplimente zu machen und die Laute zu spielen. (Johann Friedrich Reichardt, Musikalisches Kunstmagazin, vol. 1, Stück 3. Berlin, 1782, p. 158.)

chriswi...@yahoo.com schrieb:
I've found that Kirnberger III works pretty well.  I used it for a while
although I'm back to ET nowadays.

Chris