Dear list members,
         months ago looking on the French list of instruments for sale I
   noticed a baroque lute built in 1980 by Martin Bowers and showing a
   very peculiar artwork on the back of the pegbox (see
   here: [1]https://www.dropbox.com/s/72nsw585lk9ov1x/13-courseneck.jpg?dl
   =0)
   (By the way, as far as I know the lute is still for sale)
   I thought it came from the lutemaker, but then a few days ago I noticed
   exactly the same artwork on a different lute, a picture I think I saw
   on Facebook somewhere.
   I'm really curious: is it an original "fretsawn" which has been copied
   or does it come from some late restauration work (as it happened to the
   Edlinger lutes in South Dakota)?
   All the best,
   Luca