I did some test by inserting some debug statements the first thing in
the upload script. I tested this on Windows with Firefox 2.0.0.9 and
Microsoft IE 7.0 by uploading a 5.74GB (6 169 509 888 bytes) file.

With Firefox it seems like the upload script never gets called at all.
Nothing happens and no debug output is seen.

With IE the file starts to upload but the file is reported as 1.7 GB (1
874 544 014 bytes). The upload stops when that number is reached and
appears as a file in BASE (with the size 1.7 GB). In my debug output I
can see that IE is actually setting the content-length header to
1874544014, which is approximately what you get if you just chop of the
last 4 bytes of the actual file size.

I found a page with some information of the problem:
http://www.motobit.com/help/scptutl/pa98.htm

So, I guess it is a browser-related problem or maybe a limitation of the
HTTP specification. You have to split the file into smaller chunks
before uploading them.

/Nicklas