The Apache team is working on a new FTP server software. It seems
interesting since it is highly configurable/pluggable via various API:s.
It seems like it is possible to plug-in your own user manager, your own
file upload/download handlers, etc... The project is in the 'incubator'
phase and has not yet been released. I don't know how far it is from
beeing released, but it may be worth having a look at it, since many
operating systems allows simple drag-and-drop files operations between
local hard disk and FTP folders.

Here is the URL: http://incubator.apache.org/ftpserver/

/Nicklas