Since I last had my problems getting a web service client to work in
mid-December, I've slowly come to the realisation that (1) I should be
starting from the web service client examples provided on the home
page, and (2) I should really use Java 1.6 and not Java 1.5, as I am
now.

Even so, I'm still having a bit of trouble getting a web service
client to work properly. Given that I had a working prototype in
October, before the switch to the new, permanent web services, this
feels a bit discouraging. Any pointers towards a working client are
appreciated.

Nicklas (>):
> All examples are included in the source download (is this what you
> downloaded?). To build the examples you need to do (from the root
> directory of the source download):
>
> ant package.examples
>
> This will build the examples, and put everything in the
> /examples/webservices directory. Read the README file for further
> instructions.

I did this, and the build failed. Thought you might be interested:

 <http://pastebin.com/m7d681d91>

I also tried downloading the web service client example tar file from this page:

 <http://base.thep.lu.se/wiki/DeveloperInformation>
 <http://www.thep.lu.se/~nicklas/base/examples/examplewebservices.tar.gz>

Running it on my own computer (somewhat predictably) produces an
UnsupportedClassVersionError, since I'm running java 1.5.0_07. I
cannot upgrade to 1.6 without upgrading my OS X version to 10.5. But
from reading summaries of what's new in Java 1.6 -- foremost of which
seems to be a better support for web services -- I suppose that the
Java 1.6 dependency is not easily removed from the web service client
code. Am I correct?

Running the client example on a collegue's computer equipped with Java
1.6 produces the following AxisFault exception:

 <http://pastebin.com/f52f7b0dd>

The relevant settings in this case were:

 <property name="services.url" value="http://base2.thep.lu.se/demo/services"; />
 <property name="services.login" value="base2" />
 <property name="services.password" value="base2" />

What have I missed?

// Carl