Nicklas (>), Carl (>>), Nicklas (>>>):
> >> All examples are included in the source download (is this what you
> >> downloaded?). To build the examples you need to do (from the root
> >> directory of the source download):
> >>
> >> ant package.examples
> >>
> >> This will build the examples, and put everything in the
> >> /examples/webservices directory. Read the README file for further
> >> instructions.
> >
> > I did this, and the build failed. Thought you might be interested:
> >
> >  <http://pastebin.com/m7d681d91>
>
> Seems like this is a problem with internal dependencies. Or in other
> words, the different BASE packages are compiled in incorrect order. Try
> 'ant dev' instead. This will compile everything.

That worked. Going through the rest of the motions produces the
AxisFault below, but at least it does that on my computer now, running
Java 1.5.

> > I also tried downloading the web service client example tar file from this
> > page:
> >
> >  <http://base.thep.lu.se/wiki/DeveloperInformation>
> >  <http://www.thep.lu.se/~nicklas/base/examples/examplewebservices.tar.gz>
> >
> > Running it on my own computer (somewhat predictably) produces an
> > UnsupportedClassVersionError, since I'm running java 1.5.0_07. I
> > cannot upgrade to 1.6 without upgrading my OS X version to 10.5. But
> > from reading summaries of what's new in Java 1.6 -- foremost of which
> > seems to be a better support for web services -- I suppose that the
> > Java 1.6 dependency is not easily removed from the web service client
> > code. Am I correct?
>
> If you are running Mac OS X you are out of luck. There is no Java 1.6
> available yet for Mac. I think the problem is that the temporary example
> package that we put up on the web site is compiled with Java 1.6. We
> usually compile released packages with 1.5. It never happend in this
> case since all of us were really busy or on vacation. We'll fix this
> when we release 2.5.1.

They way I read that, it would still be possible (though maybe
increasingly inconvenient) to have a client running on Java 1.5.
Bioclipse (the application on which I am writing a plugin) is
currently written in Java 1.5.

> > Running the client example on a collegue's computer equipped with Java
> > 1.6 produces the following AxisFault exception:
> >
> >  <http://pastebin.com/f52f7b0dd>
> >
> > The relevant settings in this case were:
> >
> >  <property name="services.url"
> > value="http://base2.thep.lu.se/demo/services"; />
> >  <property name="services.login" value="base2" />
> >  <property name="services.password" value="base2" />
> >
> > What have I missed?
>
> No, but I think we have!
>
> The demo server is still running a 2.5beta version. It needs to be
> upgraded. We'll fix it as soon as possible.

Sounds good.

// Carl