>> OK, here are the last lines of the debug output. Let me know if you
>> want more (full log is 200K+)!
>
> The output is enough, but unfortunately it doesn't help me to find the
> original exception. However I can verify that the database has been
> created successfully and now only needs to be populated with some
> default items. For example the root user.

Aha - thanks for the lead! Turns out mySQL was in confusion about the
identity of the "base2" database, InnoDB was still trying to add stuff
to the RC1 version, leaving the new database empty. We started from
scratch with a pristine mySQL installation and BASE 2 is now up and
running!

(take home message: don't just copy & rename database directories ;-)

regards,

/Emil