Hi Ron,

Adding another opinion the board (I meant to write this already on Saturday) ;-)
I don’t think there is much to optimize w.r.t. to the XQuery update solution,
as your whole database will be held in memory during the update…
YET: if you do not care for the namespaces you could still strip them when
creating your database:

```
db:create(
  'mydb-no-ns',
  '<xml xmlns="foo"><_></_></xml>',
  'mydoc2.xml',
  map {"stripns": "yes"}
)```

> http://docs.basex.org/wiki/Database_Module#db:create
> <http://docs.basex.org/wiki/Database_Module#db:create>
> => • parsing options will only impact string input (URIs, XML strings),
> because nodes have already been parsed.

Maybe this helps, I am not sure if someone already mentioned it!
Best

Michael