On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 2:06 PM Joris Lambrecht <commandl...@protonmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the perspective. Here's what i hope comes across as a polite
> rant as a reply. It aches me and i notice it aches others everywhere.
>
> I spent 20 years on and off with Linux, starting with a CT magazine CD
> somewhere late 90's. I've really grown stone cold tired of the package
> management nonsense with unmaintained, poorly maintained software.
> Except for the big packges like desktops that is for which no sane
> compilation procudure exists.
>
> I can appreciate this, but I'm always remembering that many of these
pieces of software are being maintained gratis, without any expectation of
recompensense (or thanks, even!). That said, you are not wrong - managing
widely-available downloads is a crazy process!

Also get irritated with the so called distro specific narrative. There
> are exactly 2 systems, Debian and RedHat of which Debian is universally
> compatible and Redhat is not so much. It should not be an issue really.
> This implies developing compatible with the RedHat system is alwasy
> going to work on Debian, not vice versa.
>
> I only use Redhat for work, but every time it's an exercise in remembering
"Is it yum? Is it rpm?" and I am sympathetic.  That being said, and maybe
I'm a different sort of outlier here, but there are a bunch of excellent
operating systems, only a few of which derive from Linux. They all handle
things differently, too, to be fair.

When it comes to package managers almost none of the work well or if
> they work well there is no sensible package maintenance happening. Or
> they build a great set of software like Sabayon Linux and stop the
> disro.
>
> The times i found myself downloading source and compiling from scratch
> to have all features and flags enabled became too many. Yet every time
> i go back almost to not using package managers. Such as I end up with
> now with BaseX 🙂
>
> By now i'm contemplating a no-package manager custom Linux distroy with
> update scripts for my personal choice of tools. Simply to avoid the
> cruft and 99% meaningless software in most distributions. Maybe i build
> it all on BaseX to manage configuration, compilation and other stuff.
>
> I'm a niche user who also happens to be picky and mostly atypical as an
> IT profile. The future will probably bring hard choices and hard work
> for me because of it.
>
> That resonates! Good luck (and welcome to BaseX)

> Br,
>
> Joris

Bridger