From: Christian Grün <christian.gr...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2021 11:41
To: ydy...@post.cz
Cc: BaseX <basex-talk@mailman.uni-konstanz.de>
Subject: Re: [basex-talk] BUG node comparison

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your feedback to the mailing list.

Your query will return the expected paths if you call BaseX as follows:

basex.bat -w -i datafile.xml queryfile.xq

A short explanation: By default, BaseX ignores whitespaces when parsing XML
documents. By specifying -w, whitespace chopping can be suppresed [1,2]. If you
want to permanently disable whitespace chopping, you can achieve that by adding
"CHOP=false" option in your .basex configuration file [2]

A more comprehensive explanation (just ignore it if you are aware of all the
details): In your query, you are checking if the string value of a parent
element is identical to the string value of $rootElement.
The following comparison is equivalent to yours:

//Section[parent::*/data() != $rootElement/data()]

This is the reason why it matters if the whitespace-only nodes will be parsed
or not. – If your actual objective is to compare the XML structure, you could
the following:

//Section[not(deep-equal(parent::*, $rootElement))]

The following solution compares node identities:

//Section[not(parent::* is $rootElement)]

Hope this helps
Christian

[1] https://docs.basex.org/wiki/Command-Line_Options
[2] https://docs.basex.org/wiki/Configuration