hi all, just a few comments from my side

11.06.2014 17:10, kevin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm been slowly trying to write an importer from OneNote into Basket.
> That's caused me to have to understand the basket files. I've made some
> notes and I'll put that at the bottom of this post to help you and
> anyone else that may need them. When I commit my changes, that commit
> will contain these notes.
>
> As to your question on rewriting, I'd say no. We have an app here that
> generally seems to work. It's only missing a few things that I can tell.
> So why spend a massive amount of time to rewrite a project instead of
> only spending a little bit of time to finish a project?
>
> If you think it needs to be rewritten, why?
>
> The usual argument that can make it worthwhile to rewrite is because of
> architectural issues, but I'm unaware of any that exist that would cause
> a problem. (not that I know much of the architecture for the app )
> Anyway, why a complete rewrite?
>
> Once we officially hit version 2.0, if a rewrite (or more likely a major
> refactoring) is needed to use QT5 or something like that, I'd be
> on-board then.
>
> I would like to see Basket work on MS-Windows too. Perhaps small parts
> of the app need to be rewritten to better support that, but that's a far
> different goal then rewriting the whole app. I took a few minutes to
> look at making it work on MS-Windows some time back and sort of gave up
> when examining the kde lib issue. It looks possible but hard since
> that's a platform I don't normally develop on. Once I get the importer
> I'm working on written, I'll consider looking at the MS-Windows issue again.
>
> I believe it was Gleb who fixed the search bug, but that needs to be put
> into the master branch and a new release (1.82?) needs to be done. I
> have no idea how that will come to pass. Who has that ability? I think
> doing this would be a big deal as it will show others that the project
> really isn't dead.

I am going to publish an intermediate release in a couple of weeks
(https://launchpad.net/basket/+milestone/2.10b). If somebody can make
packages, that would be nice.

> Within each basket# dir is all the "data" for that basket. You can know
> if it a "free" note by
> looking at the properties.disposition.free attribute. The notes
> themselves are in note#.html
> files. There are also item#.txt files at times; I don't know why you
> sometimes get a note and
> other times an item. In all cases, if the basket also has inserted
> things (e.g. pics), then
> you'll also see those saved there too.

Now we actually have basket#-hhmmss and note#-hhmmss.html: current time
is substituted to simplify merging of baskets from two machines. Text
items were used before and still can be found in the Welcome basket,
however only creation of html notes is possible in qt4 version AFAIU.

Thanks for the description text, probably we can make a wiki page on Github.

Regards,
Gleb