Thanks, David.  However I still get the problem:

Previously when transcoding, I used the new TranscoderInput(String URI)
constructor for input, and everything works fine.  My output stream size is
about 5k in this instance.
>> transcoder.transcode(new TranscoderInput(uri), new
TranscoderOutput(ostream));

However, now I'm attempting to use the new TranscoderInput(Document doc)
constructor for input, and I do not seem to get any image output.   My
output stream is 991 in this instance.
>> transcoder.transcode(new TranscoderInput(document), new
TranscoderOutput(ostream));

The rest of the code (including the TranscoderOutput) is identical.  The
only thing I can get from debugging it is the difference in output size.
The only thing I have changed is the transcode method.  I need to do this
because performance in unacceptable the other way.  Has anyone used the
"document" version of transcode successfully?

Thanks,
Tony