On Tue Apr 29 2014 Aric Gregson wrote:
> What is the setting to shut this off? I continue to have odd errors with
> the bbdb file and would prefer it not be touched if not necessary.

What is your problem? - Here we are talking about situations where a
user has customized bbdb-notice-mail-hook and/or bbdb-notice-record-hook.
If for you these hooks are bound to nil (their default) the current
discussion should be irrelevant for you.

More generally, by default BBDB should never modify your bbdb-file
when reading mail.  If this happens to you nonetheless, this is
rather strange.