Hi--

    RW> On Sat Nov 21 2015 George McNinch wrote:
    >> That was actually inaccurate - I had failed to snip a setting of
    >> load-path pointing to a directory for bbdb that I had populated
    >> via git (and that seemed to be the version of bbdb being used).

    RW> Which git repository did you use?  The "official" repository is

    RW>   git.savannah.nongnu.org/bbdb.git

    >> ,---- | bbdb-version is a variable defined in ‘bbdb-site.el’.  |
    >> Its value is "@PACKAGE_VERSION@" `----

    RW> You need to properly `make' BBDB (see the README file in the
    RW> repository) in order to get a meaningful value assigned to
    RW> bbdb-version.

The version I have via *git* works fine for me.

    RW> If you just compile the elisp files from the git repository and
    RW> also when you get BBDB from Melpa the variable bbdb-version has
    RW> the meaningless value "@PACKAGE_VERSION@".

This behavior of a MELPA install is what I was trying to report.  Surely
there is *some* way to have the MELPA install process "properly make"
BBDB?

Well, perhaps this is not such a huge issue.

-gm

--
   ++++++   George McNinch <gmcninch(at)gmail.com>
   ++++++   http://gmcninch.math.tufts.edu