On 5/10/09 at 7:03 AM, rsfre...@verizon.net (RichF) wrote:

>Can BBedit be set to ignore line endings ie move cursor to any column?
>
>I want to ignore the end of line so that I can position my cursor
>anywhere. Or find a way to move the end-of-line automatically.
>
>If current line of text ends at position 49, I want to place text at
>position 72 without having to type tabs or spaces. MultiEdit for
>Windoze allows one to ignore line endings.

I can't answer technically about whether BBEdit can or should do
this, but I'm so curious:

1. What purpose does this serve?

2. What would be between column (position) 49 and column 72 if
there are no spaces or tabs?

3. When you use MultiEdit, can you have it show all invisible
characters (space, tabs, line-feeds, carriage returns)? What
does MultiEdit put in the intervening space?

I wonder whether you are confusing a text editor (e.g., BBEdit)
and a word processor? The closest thing I know of to what you've
described is when newer versions of MS Word allow a double click
anywhere on the page to put the cursor at that point. But of
course what Word is doing is adding tabs, spaces, margins, text
boxes, etc. to get the cursor to that point, so I'm not sure
that's what you are asking for.

Both "columns" and "line endings" are fictions of presentation.
Text is just a continuous line of characters. The customary way
to present a line of characters on screen or in print is to
designate one or more characters as having the role of moving
the flow of text to a new line and to the starting point at the
margin. Which characters have these roles is set by the
operating system.

Maybe all you mean is a convenience function that pads over to
where you click, so you don't have to press a few keys.

Please enlighten.

    - Bruce

_bruce__van_allen__santa_cruz_ca_