SJR <srall...@googlemail.com> sez:
[...]
>Prefix/Suffix does this for me at the start and end of selected text,
>but I wish to do this at any point within the text

You can apply Prefix/Suffix Lines at an arbitrary position as well.

Taking your example, just make a zero-width columnar selection by setting
the insertion point before "line", then Option-dragging straight down
through the desired range of lines.

----
Here is a |line of text
Here is a |line of text
Here is a |line of text
Here is a |line of text
A line of text that I'm not changing.
A line of text that I'm not changing.
----

where | shows the position of the column selection. (For a better
representation than my ASCII art :), please see "Working with Rectangular
Selections" in the PDF manual.)

Once you've got this selection, just apply Prefix/Suffix lines with "new ".

----
Here is a new line of text
Here is a new line of text
Here is a new line of text