On 23-Apr-2010, at 11:58, Barry Parr wrote:
> 
> I'm using BBedit on several different systems and I'd like my changes
> to my Preferences and Clippings to follow me.  I'm already using
> Dropbox.
> 
> Is it possible to store my preferences, clippings, or any other shared
> setup information in dropbox, rather than my Mac's library folder?

Not sure if this will work, but you can try it. It *should* work, though I have 
certainly seen apps that don't respect soft-links. Don't think I've ever had a 
problem with hard links.

Move your preference files that you want synced to dropbox.

On each machine where you want the prefs synced, delete the prefs from that 
machine and make a link to the file in your dropbox folder.

(I'd use a hard link)

something like this:

ln ~/Dropbox/BBEdit/com.barebones.bbedit.plist ~/Library/Preferences/
ln ~/Dropbox/BBEdit/Clippings/CSS.css ~/Library/Application\ 
Support/BBEdit/Clippings/CSS.css

The reason I would use hard links is that even if for some reason the files get 
deleted off DropBox, you would still have the most recently synced files on 
each machine, even if they could not get online and restore the files via 
dropbox.

However, since you can't hardlink directories, this means a lot more links.

If you don't foresee this being a problem, then a regular soft link is a lot 
easier

ln -s ~/Dropbox/BBEdit/com.barebones.bbedit.plist ~/Library/Preferences/
ln -s ~/Dropbox/BBEdit/com.barebones.bbedit.PreferenceData 
~/Library/Preferences/
ln -s ~/Dropbox/BBEdit/BBEdit ~/Library/Application\ Support/

(this works because the DropBox folder is on the same volume as your $HOME)

-- 
''If I were willing to change my morals for convenience or financial gain, we
wouldn't be arguing, because I'd already *be* a Republican.'' -- Wil Shipley

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the 
"BBEdit Talk" discussion group on Google Groups.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/bbedit?hl=en
If you have a feature request or would like to report a problem, 
please email "[email protected]" rather than posting to the group.

Reply via email to