MacVim is sort of gVIM with a mac osx interface.  It has a feature that adds a 
hack to your system that puts
an "edit in BBEdit" menu item under edit in Mail.  On set up you can choose 
BBEdit or macvim or textmate...
This works on an old Tiger system, but not under Snow Leopard.

What it does is take selected text, open it in BBEdit, lets you edit the 
content, and then on doc close brings the
modified text back into Mail.  Not really as integrated as I would like, but 
much better than doing the above steps by hand
which is what I usually do to edit a new message.

I'm not sure how this hack works (probably applescript) but I'd really like to 
see it working in Snow Leopard.  Anyone
want to give it a shot?

Any chance or real integration happening? (yes, mailsmith is cool, but no IMAP 
is a killer for me too).


On Apr 30, 2010, at 4:47 AM, Charlie Garrison wrote:

> 
> On 29/04/10 at 11:54 PM -0400, Matt Martini <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>> Does anyone know a way to use BBEdit as an external editor for Mail.app?
>> 
>> I recently found that MacVIM has a preference to "add an external editor 
>> menu item for Mail and Safari,"
>> however this did not work for me in Snow Leopard.
>> 
>> I was hoping someone here knew a trick to get BBEdit to be the editor when 
>> composing new mail messages.
> 
> The short answer would be AppleScript. The long answer I'll have to leave to 
> someone else.
> 
> If vim (or macvim) can be used as an external editor then you should be able 
> to swap in 'bbedit' command line tool in place of 'vim'. (I'm not sure what 
> macvim is, or how it's different from standard vim.)
> 

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the 
"BBEdit Talk" discussion group on Google Groups.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/bbedit?hl=en
If you have a feature request or would like to report a problem, 
please email "[email protected]" rather than posting to the group.

Reply via email to