At 13:31 -0600 6/6/10, LuKreme wrote, and I snipped a bit:
>Something I do quite a bit is take a file like this:
>
>file1.txt
>file2.txt
>file3.txt
>
>and a file likes this:
>
>Fred
>George
>Alex
>
>and convert it to
>
>mv "file1.txt" "a long filename - 1 - Fred.txt"
>mv "file3.txt" "a long filename - 2 - George.txt"
>mv "file3.txt" "a long filename - 3 - Alex.txt"
>
>I do this by running one search replace, and then doing a column insert right
>before the .txt of the list of names.  This works great and I have no problems
>with it, unless the filenames are of differing lengths:
>
>fileone.txt
>filethree.txt
>filefourteennintytwo.txt
>
>and I end up with
>
>mv "fileone.txt" "fileone - .txt"
>mv "filethree.txt" "filethree - .txt"
>mv "filefourteennintytwo.txt" "filefourteennintytwo - .txt"
>
>and I can no long insert the lines from the second file into the appropriate
>place in this file.
>
>Where I need to insert the names may change depending on what I am working
>with, and it could be in the middle of a long file name like
>
>mv "2010-05-27 AM.txt" "2010 Annual Meetings Notes - George - 20100527.txt"
>mv "IT meeting 2010 04 17" "2010 IT Meeting Note - Alex - 20100417.txt"

I have had problems like that since I first started with BBedit. That was when
I could no longer use MPW on OS neXt.

The answer to my request for tab stops like a typewriter has always generated
the response "If you need a WORD processor, use one".  All I want is the
equivalent of an 026 card punch.

I typically use an Excel spreadsheet as a text editor for what you're talking
about. It does understand the ASCII tab character. Another option is Nisus 5.1
or earlier for OS 9 and below. Yet another option is to become fluent with
perl. After the learning curve what you're doing will seem simple and it can do
the mv command without worrying about a bbedit worksheet or a separate terminal
session.

--

-->  Halloween  == Oct 31 == Dec 25 == Christmas  <--