On 08/11/2010, at 05:20 , Linda wrote:

> How can I prevent BBEdit from changing all of my ® to ® when I use
> Tidy to "Reflow Document"?

Note that "®" is defined in the 8859-1 character set - it is character code
174. Any modern browser seeing the "content-type" indicating a charset of ISO
8859-1 should present that symbol correctly.

I understand Linda's concern though - if I write a document using "®", it
may be because I'm writing to support a browser that doesn't recognise 8859-1,
and instead interprets character code 174 as something else (eg: IBM PC
extended ASCII or Cyrillic CP855 code "«"). The author has used "®" instead
of ® for a reason. Perhaps they're writing for a text-to-speech converter on a
particular platform which can vocalise "®" but trips over "®". At my place
of work, "®" is used because the ancient web services software the
suit-wearing Windows monkeys are using doesn't believe that character codes
above 127 are valid (and it only believes in the existence of IE5 or IE6).

Alex