At 1:57 PM -0600 11/28/10, Christopher Stone sent email regarding Re: Can BBEdit Do This?:
On Nov 27, 2010, at 18:14, Warren Michelsen wrote:

Is it possible to do this using just BBEdit's Find/Replace and such, without resorting to Perl or some other type of script?

Hey Warren,

Not really.

Here's a quick and dirty script (assumes "dataFile.txt" exists on the desktop):

Thank you muchly for this but I've decided to go another direction. I have a number of droplet AppleScripts that contain a perl script and I use these to clean up the data files in question by doing find/replace operations independent of BBEdit.

I think I'll adapt one of these to have the contained Perl script return the value of a desired datum to the AS and let the AS output a text file, or perhaps have the AS tell BBEdit to create a new text document with the results returned by the Perl script.

Thanks though, I'll keep and study this for future reference.