Thanks, all.  Well, Robert, it's weird.  When I turn wrapping off or
on it makes no difference.  Wrap and nowrap make no difference, and I
am working in html.
The setting "td=, etc." makes ALL the cells bigger or smaller.  The
answer I found online (  http://www.mountaindragon.com/html/tables2.htm
)makes it possible to make cells of uneven sizes.  As I did on my
site:  http://artpepper.net in three different sections:  the orange
section and the two gray ones, below it.