I seem to recall that in the readme for a recent BBEdit update, it was mentioned that support for client-side image maps had been removed. I took this to mean only that BBEdit (for some reason unknown to me) no longer offers the construction as part of its markup collection.
BTW, I realize that many developers think client-side image maps are long obsolete, but I'm working on a web page that (because of oddly-shaped buttons graphically intertwined with non-clickable imagery) I'm pretty sure could not be done any other way... at least not unless I sliced the clickable areas into a gazillion tiny pieces surrounded by a gazillion link tags, or perhaps used a pure-Javascript construction to generate the map, neither of which would be wise. Anyway, I created the image-map code manually. The page (on my development server; not public yet) works fine in every browser I've tested it in, and when using a 4.01 Transitional DTD, BBEdit's built-in code checker says the page is error-free. But if I try to use a 4.01 Strict DTD, then BBEdit's code checker says it's an error. If I put the map code in the head, it says you're not allowed to put it there; and if I put the map code in the body, it says you're not allowed to put it there either. So I went to the W3C and checked the spec to see whether image maps are, in fact, allowed in 4.01 Strict pages. If you go to this URL: <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/dtd.html> you will notice that at the very beginning of the page, they say "This is HTML 4.01 Strict DTD..." and if you search the page for "image map" you will find that it is, in fact, allowed. So why is the BBEdit code checker telling me it's not allowed? -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the "BBEdit Talk" discussion group on Google Groups. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected] For more options, visit this group at <http://groups.google.com/group/bbedit?hl=en> If you have a feature request or would like to report a problem, please email "[email protected]" rather than posting to the group. Follow @bbedit on Twitter: <http://www.twitter.com/bbedit>
