Rich Siegel said...

> Did you cross-check this with the W3C checker at
> <http://validator.w3.org/>?...

You're right; I should have done that before posting. (I often use the W3C
validator; it just didn't occur to me here.) The W3C gave me the same
results as BBEdit.

After much experimentation, I discovered the problem. Although in HTML 4.01
*Transitional* you can paste the <map>...</map> code directly into the body,
in 4.01 *Strict* you have to surround the map code with a set of <p> tags,
like this:

<p><map...blah blah> Map stuff here </map></p>

Then it validates. I was unable to find this information through googling
and could not find it in the W3C specs either (which are mostly impenetrable
to me anyway). It makes no sense to me; since the map definition doesn't
actually show up on the page (this is the code, not the image it's linked
to)... why would it be considered a "paragraph"? It seems to me more like
CSS or Javascript code, and those blocks stand alone; you don't surround
them with <p> tags.

Oh, well. I hope somebody here will benefit by what I eventually figured
out.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the 
"BBEdit Talk" discussion group on Google Groups.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at
<http://groups.google.com/group/bbedit?hl=en>
If you have a feature request or would like to report a problem, 
please email "[email protected]" rather than posting to the group.
Follow @bbedit on Twitter: <http://www.twitter.com/bbedit>

Reply via email to