At 08:35 -0500 8/19/11, David Kelly wrote:
>> Create a wrapper script around the tool, and run it from there, just
>> like any other tool. That assumes the second use case.

In the days of MPW and later in the very early days of BBEdit worksheets it was
possible to include compile, link, and execute commands in the text file that
was the C source code.

The # in #! was carefully selected to be treated as a comment in most source
code syntax.

#!/usr/bin/tcsh   (Not needed in MPW which is csh all by itself)
#IFDEF nonsense   (Never defined anywhere!)
gcc myself -o $HOME/bin/somebinary  (or perhaps something in /tmp)
link . . .  (When in MPW)
somebinary
exit
#ENDIF
include ...
main;
print "Hello World";
.
# all done

****

It was possible to execute such a text file just by giving its name or select
and ENTER in a worksheet. Almost as simple as a deck of FORTRAN cards inserted
in a card reader for load and go of old.

The technique is still possible for simple things but it sure would be better
if BBEdit worksheets could once again be executable text files as opposed to
XML plists.  I can no longer execute a worksheet from another worksheet and I
miss it.

--

--> A fair tax is one that you pay but I don't <--