Hi,

I generate and edit quite a few LaTeX documents. Like many people, I am
considering the move over from TextMate to BBEdit, which has excellent LaTeX
support.

I have been very happy with Maarten Sneep's compilation
scripts<http://msneep.home.xs4all.nl/latex/>,
but there is one glaring omission in LaTeX support for BBEdit: LaTeX-style
smart quotes: *``* and *''* instead of *"* or* “ *and* ”* and similar for
single quotes. (Yes, I am aware that most modern TeX engines can in fact
deal with unicode quotes.) Is there any way to generate the LaTeX-style
quotes automatically (i.e., by pressing the standard ascii quotes and having
it auto-sense the correct insertion, in exactly the same way as the
smart/typographer's quote feature)? This is something I've become completely
used to after more than a decade of emacs and TextMate....

While I'm here: any other LaTeX tips?

Andrew